Back to Museums

National Museum of the Resistance

Show more
The Museum of the Belgian Resistance was set up in 1972 in the historic building of a former printing house, located at 14 Rue Van Lint, Anderlecht, Brussels. This printing house was owned by Pierre Lauwers and used in the resistance struggle. It particularly gained notoriety for its involvement in the 1943 production of the Faux Soir, which became a central action in the history of Belgian resistance to the Nazi Occupation.

The museum was founded by former members of the Resistance with the aim to preserve the history, heritage and message of the Resistance and transmit this to future generations. Its permanent exhibition presents a selection of objects and documents from the Front de l’Indépendance (one of the main Resistance networks) and donations from former Resistance fighters. These collectively illustrate the underground operations, commitment, repression and memory of this struggle. In the permanent exhibition visitors will find military equipment, print material, telecommunications and observation equipment, clandestine documents, tracts, newspapers and posters, forged papers and stamps, uniforms and flags, souvenirs from the camps, photographs and other documentation, films and commemorative objects. Closed for renovation, the Museum will reopen in 2023. Its building, which has been entirely renovated by FP Architects, will provide a modern and welcoming space, which opens onto the neighbourhood of Anderlecht